Tuesday, July 12, 2016

My Cup of Stars

So: as you may or may not have heard, Experimental Film won the 2015 Shirley Jackson Award for Best Novel. I also came home from Readercon to discover I'd made the Sunburst Award shortlist, in the Adult Fiction category. It's been a pretty good weekend, all told.;)

This is the text of my acceptance speech, which I scribbled down about five minutes into the ceremony:

"Somebody asked me last night [it was Dale Bailey], how long did this book take to write? And I said sort of four years and sort of four months...but really, I think in a lot of ways it's a book I've been rehearsing and preparing for all of my life. It's also very personal in a way that all my other work isn't, necessarily, so for it to be received with such grace and enthusiasm has been staggering. None of this would be possible without my friend, my family, my husband and my son. I'd like to thank ChiZine Publications and the ladies of the Bellefire Club, who mothered this book into existence, and every movie I've ever viewed or reviewed. I'd also like to thank Canada, cold land of identity disorders, the source of all my neuroses and whatever power I derive from them. When I first got word of this nomination, I thought that if I could win just one award, I'd want it to be this one. Thank you all for letting me live my dream. As Eleanor [from The Haunting of Hill House] might say, I got my cup of stars."

Those of you who'd prefer to watch me fumble my way through it while looking like a tank in a dress can access Scott Edelman's Periscope video (vine?), here: https://www.periscope.tv/w/1jMKgnBDlBPxL

No comments:

Post a Comment